Healthy Munchie Popcorn
One of my go-to comfort foods is this healthy munchie popcorn recipe. I enjoy the experience of munching out on popcorn AND I feel great after.
Let’s own it: the act and experience of eating food is comforting. I both practice and coach people about how to comfort without food; because come on, who does not want to be free of needing food for comfort? AND… as a conscious choice it is really enjoyable to ENJOY food.
This popcorn recipe is a staple for me. I enjoy it about once a week or a few times a month. I often will eat it for dinner followed by a simple green salad.
As always the ingredients matter. All popcorn IS NOT the same. There is a lot of non-organic GMO corn out there that is not like organic or even heirloom popcorn.
Microwave popcorn has hydrogenated oils and additives that create extra work on our bodies’ detox organs. Most movie theatres also offer popcorn with these same troublesome ingredients.
If have noticed the pattern of my food recipes you will see that a big part of converting loved recipes is in the ingredients.
1 cup of organic popcorn
1 cup of olive oil
4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
coconut oil *optional if you want to use in the pot
- Preheat a pot on the stove to high for one or two minutes.
(Different stoves have different ‘high’, some stoves we literally turn as high as possible and some are more near the med-high range.)
- Add a couple of tablespoons of olive or coconut oil to the pot and put the entire cup of popcorn in the pot at the same time.
- Put the lid on the pot.
- Shake the pot every minute or so to allow the kernels to rotate and drop to the bottom.
- When the popping slows to 5 seconds between pops OR when you smell the slightest smell of ‘burnt’ remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Dress the popcorn with ample olive oil, nutritional yeast, and sprinkles of salt.
- Stir the popcorn as you dress, taste, and adjust.